Thursday, August 5, 2010

Type A Disease

I have an affliction caused by obsessive Type A disease. I discovered this horrible problem last night as I listened to a fellow adult skater who was talking about all of her new "tricks" she can do. She has "one-upped" me in the jump department and I am pretty sure she has her sit spin too. My disease flared up something fierce! I need a cure, and fast!

Since last night I have looked back on my little one and her development as a skater. She started kinda slow, caught on about a year ago and is in a little lull again. I don't think that adults are too far from this dynamic either but maybe our lulls can be longer and more pronounced? I am on the ice about four hours a week with one hour of lessons if I am lucky. Now I don't know how much this other gal skates - more or less - doesn't matter. I need to step back and create my own cure.

I have to remember that I am my own person and that I can't compare my successes or failures to any other skater. I will learn and be able to progress as quickly as my body will allow me to do so. That is all I can hope for. Just like I don't like to compare my Muffet's progress to others, I should not do this to myself either.

Have I done it? Have I found a cure? Only time will tell!