Thursday, April 8, 2010

Frustration Live and In Person

Today was a tough day on the ice for Muffet and me. She decided to read a book on the way to the rink and got kind of car sick as we had to sit in a traffic jam on the way. I was running on only 2 out of 8 cylinders this morning as I was exhausted by my previous days activities (non-skating related.) I was hoping for a nice easy freestyle... so much for pipe dreams!

Muffet is so bloody close to landing her axel that it is now frustrating the heck out of her. She wants it SO BAD and it is right there at her toe tips. She had a few good ones today but none that you could call "landed." After that she did her programs twice through and was great until another coach was in her way and she went down. She was OK - but mad, a little queasy and frustrated. She cried and asked to get a drink of water. She came back on and did a stellar run through of her Artistic - pouty lip and all.

Then it was my turn. Jumps were OK. Even though my coach said, "Let's leave it (the flip) for now." Which translates into, "Wow, that still looks like poo even though I have now told you five times what to fix." Footwork was excellent. Spins were so-so. We tried to get me to "check-out" of my back spin, but I am lucky to even find my toe pick on that darn spin anyway.

Let's get that program out there - really? I can't even lift my feet - UGH! But I was reminded that I only have two weeks before my next competition and I need to train for that. Poop. I was not too bad until my flip (flat footed landing) and another coach got in the way of my footwork.

It was after we left the ice and were picking up our things that I noticed that Miss Muffet was sobbing. She came over and sat on my lap and said, "There is nothing wrong with me" through huge crocodile tears. There was clearly something wrong with my baby girl. She is so frustrated and it finally manifested itself right there on the bench watching the Zamboni.

I was warned by parents of higher level skaters and coaches alike - there would be tears with the axel. But I thought that my Muffet would breeze right through it and not be affected. Boy was I wrong! This is it - the make it or break it jump - and Muffet knows it. I hugged her. I kissed her. I told her that it would all be alright and everything would work out. That one day, it would just happen and she would wonder what the fuss was all about. But right now, it is not just happening. Early skating skills came very easy to Muffet. Now she has to think about it and really work the brain/body connection. I know that all too well! My brain says that I am still 20 years old but my body does not listen!

It is moments like these that I am so thankful I strapped on a pair of skates four years ago and joined my baby on the ice. I understand that frustration as a skater and as her mom. My mommy hat will be much broader than my skater hat until that axel is under her belt. Oh boy - then it is on to doubles! This crazy sport!