Monday, April 5, 2010

Video is Evil

I think I have posted before that I hate watching myself skate. In my mind I glide across the ice like Dorothy Hamill and I like to keep it that way, thank you.

Today Miss Muffet had an hour long jump lesson with Dart Fish video analysis. For those of you who do not know what Dart Fish is - think slow motion video of every move you make on the ice. The coach can set sync points with great skating examples against your video to show where you are making errors on jumps from the entry into the jump to the landing. Muffet is having trouble getting the axel so we called in the big guns this morning. She was totally pooped by the end of the lesson and we had 5 minutes of time to spare.

My coach decided that it would be a good idea to Dart Fish my flip. UGH! Dart Fish was really cool when I was watching Muffet but just atrocious when looking at myself. I was all hunched over, my tapping leg was basically in a spiral position before I tapped, my tap was after my free leg went through and my free leg was way out to the side in the air totally away from my body even before I landed. That says nothing about my arms and my FACE - oh my goodness.

Needless to say, I have lots of work to do. I will have to bring out my inner Dorothy Hamill tomorrow I guess!