Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Almost Conquering the Toe Loop

I have already established that figure skating is a crazy sport. It relies on muscle memory, physics, psychology and "unknown factors." I think that I experienced all of these on the ice yesterday.

Muffet and I had a two hour session yesterday on the ice. While she got yelled at by her "poise" coach, I putted around and tried to get motivated to actually work. Monday was such a rush that I was having trouble getting it together to try and trump it. By the time my coach arrived I was warmed up but already tired. I have been skating so hard the last two weeks that my legs are sore and heavy. That combo = bad jumps and footwork. I did however, have a massive break-through on my wonky toe-loop. I am finally feeling the "draw" so I asked my coach if we could start with toe loop. She agreed and said that I am much closer now to what she wants to see. My smile was a mile wide! The flip was pretty awesome too. I love that jump!

Next, footwork. Well... let's just say that I think my feet were already done for the day. They were operating independently from my body and not in a good way. Unfortunately, that lasted for the rest of my lesson.

My "sit-spin" is well... I swear that my butt is on the ice, but that is not what my coach is seeing. Who is she watching? Hahaha

As I limped off of the ice, tired and sore, I held my head up high. My muscles used their memory - my blades worked their physics on the ice - my psyche didn't psych out and the "unknown elements" were kept to a minimum. I have come one step closer to almost conquering the toe-loop. All is well... until I hit the ice again.