Thursday, January 14, 2010

Backhanded Compliment??

I often get strange looks from moms and dads at the rink. I can't tell if it is horror, confusion, envy or amusement. Today I had a very decent practice that was kinda low-key and not too stressful. I worked through the rough spots of my freeskate several times and did the program once with music. I got reprimanded by another coach for flat footing a perfectly good flip landing when I was getting off the ice, but it was constructive. All in all a great hour.

As Muffet and I were taking off our skates, we were surrounded by moms. Now, I do get asked questions by some of them about how we are doing and if we are competing any time soon. But every now and again I get the, "You are so brave to be skating" comment. As I said before, I have no idea what this means. Does it mean, "Wow, you really look like an idiot out there, you are so brave to make a public ass out of yourself each and every day"? Or does it mean, "Wow, I am impressed at what you can do out there"? Or how about, "I am way too insecure, scared or out of shape to do that"? I am not really sure which one fits, but each time I get this comment I wonder.

Once my coach talked me into buying a video of myself skating. It was my first USFSA competition and I was a train wreck. I will NEVER purchase a video of myself skating again. In my head I look like an angel when I skate - not like the oaf I saw on that video. It totally upset me, so I vowed to keep that fairy tale image of myself up there in my happy little brain. I may be brave, an idiot or over-confident. But what I will never be is a frozen observer of the fun that is going on out there on the ice. To the moms and dads who skate (or those who would if they could) - huzzah! Thanks for being my inspiration and being just as "brave" as I am. I guess I will take those compliments for all of us.