Saturday, January 16, 2010

This is a Crazy Sport

The average figure skating fan, one who does not skate, has no clue as to how incredibly crazy this sport is underneath the spandex and crystals. All they see is Evan, Mirai, Keauna, Rockne, Tanith and Ben out there skating like the experts they are. What they don't see are the early morning practices with mom having to drag the kid out of bed and into skates before the sun comes up. They don't see the bruised hips, knees, elbows - the ugly, smelly feet - or the tears if they fall or just can't seem to get that jump today. They don't see the skater stomping their blade on the ice because their coach has told them to stop skating mid-program for the eighth time. They have no idea of the cost of equipment, sharpening, costumes, ice time, competition fees, private lessons, group lessons, travel fees or gasoline. They don't know how hard it is to decide to make a coaching change, whatever the situation - that it is much like breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend and can be extremely emotional and heart-wrenching. They don't know that you can't simply just decide to call another coach - that there is a whole ethical code in the sport and once you violate that code you can be black balled for a very long time.

I felt fantastic this morning as I skated the freestyle and then took that Power Skating class again. I was inspired as I watched my friends skate their short program so beautifully yesterday afternoon. I felt proud that I was able to teach a young skater's mom about the coaching code of ethics so she wouldn't accidentally step into a terrible situation. After all that I know, I am still amazed that I choose to let my daughter keep on skating. I wanted my son to skate as well, but that was a short lived dream. I don't know what my daughter's dream is - all I know is that she loves to be on the ice and I will wake up to take her there, spend all of my money, and soothe all of her wounds for as long as she wants to skate.

I know that I can never go to the Olympics as a skater. However I can watch this crazy, beautiful sport knowing that there are many broke, tired and loving parents, coaches, friends and family behind those skaters and share a private smile with them as their babies reach for the stars.