Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dress Making

I am fortunate that I can follow directions very easily and am too stubborn to give up quickly. These two attributes have served me well since I decided to take on making Muffet and my figure skating dresses. If you have ever sewn with Lycra you know that it really has a mind of its own. It wiggles, shifts and moves wherever you don't want it to go. Add to that the cost of good lycra and the stress of sewing grows ever greater.

I decided to start sewing my own dresses because #1 - they are expensive to have made, #2 - I cannot wear dresses off the rack and #3 - I want creative control and #4 - I want my kid (and me) to look original on the ice. I soon discovered why a custom dress costs at minimum $99. It is incredibly tedious and difficult to get it just right.

Muffet's new dress is almost done. I am six sequined appliques away from being done. She will look unique! The greater feat is my dress. It has poofy, chiffon sleeves that are supposed to be stretch lycra. Three sets of sleeves later - they look amazing. I am hand gluing stones on the dress to look like Asian inspired clouds. My music this season is "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors but it is done by the Prague Orchestra and has an Asian sound quality. After an entire day and afternoon of gluing stones and sucking in E6000 fumes I am that much closer to being done. The dress design is #806 from Specialty Sportswear at https://specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000030&

Oh but wait - I just got another order. So much for being done! (Pictures after I am done stoning!)