Monday, January 18, 2010

Positive Reinforcement

I have only had experience with four one-on-one coaches in my short career as a figure skater. One was a friend who just happened to help me skate once a week; one kicked my butt for 30 minutes once a week; one is so handsome and make moves in the field actually fun to do and then there is my current coach. We fell into working together as my old rink closed and my kids coaches were moving to another rink. My friend coach moved somewhere I didn't feel comfortable and my kick-butt coach decided to retire. The handsome coach is a pleasure that I only get to enjoy once in awhile as his rink just reopened and he is so booked that it is impossible to get a lesson.

My current coach is not only my coach but also a great friend. She has the patience of a saint. I don't think I could be as calm as she is when I screw something up for the bazillionth time - but she is. She takes the time to explain every element with me. She shows me how to do things over and over again. She only yells at me to put my shoulders down or push harder during my program. But what I really love is that she won't give me positive praise until I have earned it. When I do an element and she does not like it, I will get "the look." Those of you that skate or have done an individual sport with a private coach know what I am talking about - the dreaded "look." I have been the recipient of many "looks" over the last few weeks.

Today, I only got a few "looks" and one, "Let's leave it at that for today." More importantly, I got a "Not bad! You are looking pretty good." YIPEE! I have been beating myself up for three weeks and today was a break through. My toe loop still has much to be desired, but the rest of the program is finally starting to gel. Now all I have to do is clean it up over the next 12 days. Hopefully I won't get any "looks" from the judges!