Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Being Pushed a Bit Too Hard

The reason I am starting to blog about my skating boils down to my experience over the last week or so. I skated last Tuesday, took off my boot and discovered a nasty blister on my left instep. I went home, cleaned it out and took Wednesday off. I was back on the ice Thursday for a two hour session and could not even do back cross-overs because the stupid blister hurt so bad. I had to give half of my lesson to my little one and worked on back spins for 30 minutes. This Monday promised to be better as I put moleskin on the remnants of the blister and my foot didn't hurt. However, my program would get the best of me and I left the ice feeling lame and dejected. Last night I was ready to fall asleep while working on the xword puzzle, but as soon as I laid my head down I started to skate in my head. A dose of NyQuil later, I slept but work up feeling hung over. I vowed that today I would have a better outing on the ice.

Out I go for another two hour session and am feeling pretty confident - until I get to the footwork. I am being pushed this season. But after the first run through of my new program I realized that the program was in control and I was not. I was angry, frustrated and ready to cry. The Type-A in me was not happy with the fact that I could not just simply do what my coach wanted me to do. The counter into the choctaw sequence was just not happening and I was about to lose it. Competition is very stressful for me to begin with, but to have an out-of-control program on top of it all was pushing me over the edge.

So, I offered some suggestions for changes. We worked through the footwork and changed it to a rocker into a back three from the counter/choctaw and I feel as if the world is off of my shoulders.

I am one of those people who likes to be pushed. I like to prove to myself and others that I am able to take on just about anything. When I started running my first event was a marathon simply because I wanted to prove I could run one. But I discovered today that in skating I am only willing to be pushed so far. Especially when I have to display myself in front of judges, strangers, family and friends.

So here is to the next challenge - and that is to get this program down. I have three weeks to do so.