Saturday, January 9, 2010

"Power" Skating

This morning Muffet and I went back to our old rink (which has just reopened under new ownership) for an old pastime. Every Saturday morning we would skate the 7AM freestyle and then take the power stroking class. This class used to be 15 minutes of hell on ice. I loved every second of it! Even when I felt like I was going to throw up from exhaustion, I felt as if I had conquered a giant.

We have not skated this class in over a year and we did not skate the freestyle beforehand. Therefore my old bones were no where near warmed up when the music got pumping. So, off I went, trying to remember what it felt like to take this class. Back power threes, power pulls, cross strokes with a beanie baby sitting on my head. Oh, and did I mention that the class is now 25 minutes? Oh, and that it is taught by an Olympic Silver Medalist and former World Champion? Holy guacamole!

There I was "power" skating - well, kinda just trying to skate rather quickly without falling or getting run over by Muffet and her little speed demon friends. Fortunately I had three other adults stupid, I mean brave enough, to take the class too.

What is the moral of the story? Get your butt moving on the ice, slow-poke, or the little people will run your sorry excuse for a skater OVER! They won't even look back to see you fall, but may run you over again as they pass by the second or third time...

I will be going back next week and the week after that and the week after that. I will be skating the freestyle before hand to make sure that my legs don't feel like toothpicks before I "power" skate. Who knows? Maybe in a few weeks I can actually skate with the "faster" skaters again?